We at MMS are so proud of Dustianne North, as she recently completed her doctorate at UCLA in social welfare! But we are not losing her--Dustianne will continue to be a great resource to mentoring efforts across the nation. Dr. North recently finished writing a huge health and wellness curriculum for foster youth for the Foundation for California Community Colleges, which will be used all over California. Jerry assisted her on this project by taking the lead on developing a peer-to-peer group activity manual.
On Oct 1, Judy Strother Taylor and Jerry Sherk provided a national employee-to-employee mentoring program webinar on the topic, “Developing an Effective Mentoring Program.”
Judy and Jerry recently conducted a workshop for the Mentoring Coalition of San Diego County called: “Teaching Mentors to Assist Mentees with Problem Solving.” Judy and Jerry are currently working with the United Job Creation Council in Los Angeles to update their training materials and their mentoring program evaluation process.
Stacy and Jerry provided a series of workshops for the volunteer department of The Salvation Army in San Diego. These sessions focused on the recruitment, screening, training, and matching of volunteers. Additionally, Stacy, as the Chairperson for the Mentoring Coalition of San Diego, continues to lead monthly trainings for this group.
MMS Consultants have recently (or are currently) providing services to a number of mentoring programs including:
· Federal Executive Board Leadership Associates Mentoring Program, Los Angeles
· Center for Applied Research Solutions, Folsom and Santa Rosa
· United Job Creation Council, Los Angeles
· Cleveland Browns Leadership and Mentoring Program, Cleveland, Ohio
· Foundation for California Community Colleges, YES Program
· ONTRACK, Sacramento
· The Salvation Army, San Diego
· Outdoor Outreach Mentoring Program, San Diego
· Childhelp Foster and Adoption Agency, San Bernardino
· ReachOut IYRT Mentoring Program, Upland
· Shingle Springs Band of Miwok Indians, Shingle Springs Rancheria
· Big Brothers/Big Sisters of San Diego County
· Green Thumb Mentoring Program, Lancaster
· San Diego High School, Academy of Finance Mentoring Program
· Foothills High School Mentoring Program, San Marcos
Additionally, Jerry just returned from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, where he conducted a two-day mentoring training for the Capital Area Reentry Coalition. The focus was on developing programs for formerly incarcerated individuals.
We hope everyone has had a good summer, and that you are energized and ready to get going whatever projects you are working on! – The team from MMS: Jerry, Judy, Dustianne, and Stacy.